Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Getting a Pump Is Like Being Newly Diagnosed"

Vanderbilt warned us that adjusting to the pump was like being newly diagnosed all over again. It is normal to wonder what have you done after the first few weeks, and they encouraged us to stick through the first few months. It was hard to imagine it being that bad, but I was glad for the warning. By two weeks, Andrew hated the pump & wanted to go back to shots. I told him if he still hated it in 6 months, he could quit, but we were giving it a chance. For me, I had forgotten how stressful it is to have to call in BGs daily, wait for the phone nurse to call back, talk about BGs, make changes, etc. - all while trying to work! The Lord blessed me with a student teacher during the transition, which helped tremendously! We all like the pump now, but the start was a bit rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment