Tuesday, October 20, 2009

First Diabetes Camp

Several people told us that it was very important that Andrew go to diabetes camp. The first year, he was only seven, Ben had just been born, and it was VBS week. This year seemed to be a good time. We drove down to Camp ASCCA (Alabama Special Camp for Children And Adults) in Jackson's Gap on Sunday afternoon. The camp is beautiful & has lots to do. We stood in line to check in medications, check BG & temperature, lice check, vision check, nutritionist check, etc. Then Andrew got to go to his cabin, which was nice, but unairconditioned. We unpacked everything & then headed to the meeting for parents. They explained that we would not be able to call & talk to our child. We could call & talk to the nurse about how the diabetes was going, but we would not be able to call our kids & they would not be able to call us. I didn't think Andrew would suffer from homesickness too badly. Surely, a diabetes camp full of doctors & nurses could handle his diabetes. I figured that he would be fine, but I wasn't too happy about not seeing my baby again until Friday. Suddenly, I could sense how little time I left with my kids before I drop them off at college. Scary thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment