Saturday, October 17, 2009

Broken Pump

The day after the wrestling, Andrew commented that his screen wasn't as bright. I still figured it was a setting change from changing the battery. At 1 am, I checked his BG & it was a little high. I wanted to cancel the -20% basal we had set from playing baseball so I pulled the pump out of Andrew's pocket. I couldn't read it! I turned out the light & could barely see well enough to cancel the temp basal. I still wondered if it was the battery change, so I found the new battery cap & replaced it. No improvement. I pulled out the manual & reset the screen using keystrokes from the book since I couldn't see the screen. Finally, I woke Gene. He looked at & said, "It says pump not primed." You have to reprime it everytime you replace the battery & I couldn't see the reminder! If Gene hadn't been able to make it out, he wouldn't have had any insulin the rest of the night. Finally, we called Animas, the producer of our pump. I felt really silly calling the person on call because our screen was too dim! The lady who called back was very nice & assured us that is why they provide 24 hour support. She agreed the pump was broken & ordered us a new one. That was 2 am on May 12th. The new pump was delivered to my school May 13th at no charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment