Monday, September 21, 2009

Realizing I'd missed more signs

I was blindsided by the diabetes diagnosis, but the more we learned about his body, the more I realized we'd had symptoms for awhile. I had been worried about basketball. He'd been very emotional on the court & my "mom-radar" kept saying something was wrong. After basketball, he would go back to his normal self. Once we were monitoring BG, I discovered that his BG goes up during competition & triggers the emotions. After the exercise, his BG goes down & my sweet child returns.

One discovery I made was on the last day of school when the scrapbook came home. His first day picture had looked horrible! I remembered thinking, "He's so nervous that he looks sick!" I recognized the look now - high BG probably really from being nervous. At the bottom he was asked to fill in some blanks including I felt "hungry ." Yes, excessive hunger is a sign of high BG!

1 comment:

  1. A young man in our high school youth group was dxd within the last 6 mos or so... his mom said the hardest thing is for her 14yo ds to keep track of his supplies..... I think it's a high school boy thing - if it's not attached to them, they forget

    ReplyDelete