Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Middle of the Night Screams

In the hospital, Andrew tolerated the shots better than the finger pricks. The hospital didn't have the needle lancets, but rather the blade type. Andrew checked my blood sugar with one, and it did hurt much more than the needles do. One evening, we were all sleeping when a nurse decided to check Andrew's BG without waking him. He woke up from a deep sleep screaming and scared to death. At the time, I thought it was horrible & promised him that I would never do that to him. Now, a year and half later and still needing to check his BG in the middle of night, I have had to change my mind on that one. I tell him to try to sleep through it, but if he wakes up he can do it himself. He wakes up most of the time. I can't remember the last time the poor guy got to sleep through the night. One of the worst parts of this disease is the exhaustion that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment