Monday, September 7, 2009

Arriving at Vanderbilt

When we got to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, I handed the nurse Andrew's paperwork & told her that our doctor had sent us. She looked down at the paperwork and then at Andrew and said, "And he's just walking in like that?" I had no clue, so I replied, "Is he not supposed to?" Understanding came over her eyes as she asked if he was a new diagnosis. She asked me to sit in the waiting room, but they called us back as soon as we sat down. They took Andrew's blood sugar (BG- blood glucose) and it was still in the upper 400s. The nurse had her calm nurse voice on and said she would take us back. She stopped by the insurance admitting desk and calmly said, "These are the Coxes. I'm taking them to Room 1." They were so busy that we walked past patients waiting in the hallway. They placed Andrew in room 1 right across from the nurses desk and had heart monitors on & an IV in before anyone even asked if we had insurance. Andrew didn't know any better, but I knew this wasn't normal. I was starting to realize that this was about more than a low carb diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment