Friday, July 2, 2010

Untethered Ended

Well, pumping untethered lasted less than five days. When it came time to give the Lantus shot this morning, Andrew asked, "Can I just go back on the pump for today?" I told him that it took Lantus a few days to level out, so he can't go back & forth based on whether his shorts have pockets. (Yes, that is an issue. He doesn't really like the pump pouches, even though I've bought four different kinds. The pump has to go somewhere. I only buy him shorts with pockets, but he has some hand-me-downs from Ryan that don't.) He opted for the pump. He had a nice vacation from having to carry the pump around, but the shots hurt. Pumping untethered was nice - the safety of long-lasting insulin with the accuracy of a pump and flexibility of multiple boluses. In the end, though, as long as Andrew takes care of his body and gives it the insulin it needs, he gets to choose how it gets there.

Research for Kaitlyn is still mixed. Here are some posts from some kids who had teplizumab and are doing great. Andrew never had much of a honeymoon, so the numbers these kids are seeing are enviable. I'd love that for Kaitlyn.
http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=41829&highlight=teplizumab
However, the side effects are frightening! If it were a cure, I'd sign up in a heartbeat! However, it only slows the disease. No cure. I'm still not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment