Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a great Thanksgiving! I am thankful for family & friends, for our Savior & church, and our many blessings! We are blessed in so many ways and had a great day celebrating with family!

This was Andrew's second Thanksgiving with diabetes & the first on a pump. I am thankful that the pump gave us more flexibility in planning Thanksgiving. We planned to eat when it was most convenient for everyone to come without worrying if it matched Andrew's normal mealtime. I was thankful to serve dessert when we were ready instead of trying to decide whether to serve it immediately when everyone is stuffed so that Andrew could take one shot or wait 3 hours when Andrew could have another shot. I have Thanksgiving dinner carb counted & a card similar to his school lunch card where he could eat like the other kids & record what he took. It cut down on "diabetes talk" at the table. It felt like a normal holiday!

I'm thankful for the normalcy that the pump has given us, but then on Saturday morning Andrew went from 171 at 2 am to 374 with large ketones at 7:41 am. The site looked fine, but changing it fixed the problem. It made for a rough couple hours for Andrew. He was starving (symptom), but I wanted him to wait a little while to let the insulin work before sending his BG higher. He wanted to help carry Christmas boxes down from the attic, but you can't exercise with ketones. Have I mentioned that high BG makes you irritable? I was reminded that even a artificial pancreas is just a fancy pump. Fancy pump sites will still have problems. I'm thankful that someone out there is working even now on a real cure!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to have such a relaxed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete