Thursday, December 22, 2011

Looking At Supplements

We are starting to pray about supplements that we can safely put Kaitlyn on to help support her pancreas and extend this honeymoon time.  We had good results with the Glucocare for Andrew, and I've considered putting Kaitlyn on that.  I talked to Vanderbilt & they were okay with us trying some supplements and maybe even testing her a little later.  Since the 16th is right before her birthday, I'm thinking a different diagnosis date might be good.  I was willing to start whatever testing regimen they would recommend if she come in right away and get diagnosed.  They thought spot checking, but watch for symptoms would be fine.  They also set up for the doctor to call me next week and talk to me further.   He is very knowledgeable and very easy to talk to, so I'm very happy about that.

When I mentioned to Andrew's school nurse and our friend that we were considering Glucocare, she encouraged us to be careful about possible lows.  She was so impressed with its effect on Andrew.  He had several episodes of lows that nothing seemed to bring up.  I remember talking to her one day and she said, "I've been a pediatric E.R. nurse and not much rattles me.  Today,...well, let's just say that Andrew had my full attention!"  It definitely affected Andrew's insulin needs, but I hadn't considered whether it could send someone with "normal" blood sugar low.

Then someone sent me this link: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0c_1kc.htm  This person's child uses some similar supplements.  I have the name of a biochemist now, who I would love to contact.  I have no doubt that supplements make a difference from my experience and the experience of others.  But I also don't want to overdo it.  I want answers that, realistically, no one has. 

So, please, PLEASE, pray for wisdom for us!  We want to take care of Kaitlyn the best way we can.  So far, she seems to be doing great.  Tonight, we went to Piccadilly to pick up some things for Christmas for my father-in-law.  We decided to eat there.  Kaitlyn ordered the kid's vegetable plate.  It was the first time I looked at her face and thought I saw the coloring change.  We didn't have her meter, so we waited to test until we got home.  BG 130, which is okay for after eating.


For the most part, we are doing fine.  We have smiles on our faces and are enjoying Christmas.  But Diabetes is there.  Always there.  I wish you could get a day off.  No, I want a cure!

I wish you all a very, Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly, you are a strong woman and wonderful mom. So many parents would just sit back and wait. you are proactive and looking for answers... they may not be there now but I'm sure you'll be one of the first to find them

    ReplyDelete