Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mentor For JDRF

In September, I went to training to become a mentor for JDRF, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  JDRF's mission is to find a cure for type 1 diabetes and its complications through the support of research.  As a mentor, though, I'm just reaching out to newly diagnosed families, offering support, and letting them know there are others who know what they are going through. 

Especially in the beginning, I felt very alone in my walk with diabetes. I have great friends, but no one wants to hear about diabetes all the time, and they often don't really understand.  That's why this blog was so therapeutic.  You can't complain that I'm constantly talking about diabetes if you're reading a blog entitled, "Andrew's Diabetes Story"!  Now, I'm having the chance to talk to other moms and help them feel less alone. Several ladies that I have called have talked for quite awhile, and I've enjoyed the conversations.  It makes me sad to call though.  I've called twelve already.  Twelve.  I'm only one mentor, so that's a small fraction of the kids.  That's way too many!  I am praying for a cure.  In the meantime, I want something good to come from our journey.  I hope being a mentor will be part of that.

2 comments:

  1. Kimberly, what a wonderful ministry you are now a part of. I know you will be a gift to these families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Renee! You have always been so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete