Sunday, June 27, 2010

Going Back On Shots

Andrew wants to take a break from the pump and go back on shots. I probably started it unintentionally. Andrew wants to play football in the Fall (a story for another time). It is too rough to play with the pump on, and he doesn't do well disconnected for a long time. Some players take a Lantus shot (24 hour basal insulin) & still use some basal insulin from the pump so that they have the advantages of both. That was my plan. However, Andrew decided to go back on shots entirely. He has no choice but be a human pin cushion. He gets to decide whether it comes in the form of shots or a pump. I can't imagine having to wear the pump 24/7, so I'm not going to complain, at least to him.

That said, I'm nervous about going back to shots!!! We start in the morning as soon as Vandy tells me how much Lantus to start with. I hope I still remember how to load the pens! I got a Lantus pen so that I don't have to uses the syringes, but I've never used it. However, it only does whole units, so they may tell me to use the syringe anyway. I was so unhappy with the A1c last time, but 8.1 was the best ever A1c on shots. I hope his control isn't going to get worse! I know that people are praying for us, so I'm open to the Lord working through this. I just can't imagine how we will get the Lantus right. He is so active during the day that his nighttime basal is much, much higher than his daytime basal. After a couple days without the flexibility of the pump, he may go right back on it anyway. He's used to eating whenever he wants now and just taking another bolus. We couldn't do that on shots. I need to review all the old rules!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment