Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rough Nights For All (but Ryan)

Diabetes affects everyone in the family. Lately, it has been affecting everyone's sleep! Last week, Will's teachers sent home a note that Will was falling apart over seemingly trivial things. Will didn't have any real concerns other than, "The water just won't stop coming to my eyes!" We think the heart of the issue is exhaustion - not because he doesn't go to bed early enough. Because he gets woken several times a night (lots of lows lately) when we turn on the lights and check on Andrew. Will used to be a very easy going child. This side of him didn't show up until he started school. That was also after Andrew was diagnosed. I too get weepy when overtired, so I understand. We decided to move Will into Ben's room instead. Will doesn't think it's working. He says he can't sleep because, "Ben stares at me all night long!" I think in the long run it will be best.

Andrew had five lows on Monday alone - most of them in the 40's & 50's. Monday night, he was low at 11, & although his BG was okay at 1 am, I could sense it wouldn't last despite the reduced basal. I set the alarm for 3 am & sure enough he was 52 again. Tuesday, it took longer to recover from the lows because his natural resources were so depleted. We finally returned him to the basal insulin rates he used prior to the flu shot. It took six weeks to the day. The Cell Food hasn't offered any change in insulin, but he hasn't complained of a stomachache since starting it. He won't admit to feeling better, but I think he does.

Last night, Andrew's 1:30 check was fine, but I was woken at 2:30 by Kaitlyn. She didn't feel well. She ate a few crackers, but still felt nauseous. She asked, "Should I take my blood sugar?" I felt so bad for her!!! Can you imagine living that way? I may have caused it, because I won't let a vomiting child have soda unless they've checked BG. I didn't expect anything off, but figured we should test to relieve her fears. BG 118. I assured her that was normal, but suddenly I was thinking, "That is so much higher than her normal fasting BG. Oh, please don't be starting! Well, she's sick. That raises blood sugar. And scared. Stress raises it too." Then I finally realized this wasn't a fasting BG! She had just finished eating! Nothing ever came of the stomachache. She's had lots of them lately. I admit I've thought, "Does it hurt when the islet cells die off?" Maybe she just needs Cell Food too!

2 comments:

  1. {{{Kimberly and family}}}}

    Also I've been meaning to thank you (and Kaitlyn) for inviting Theresa to Awanas. She had a great time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting her come! She is welcome to come with us again anytime. Kaitlyn would love to have her!

    ReplyDelete