Friday, February 26, 2010

Parents' Worst Fears & CGM

When Ben was still an infant, I remember telling a friend, "If I have a paranoid moment, I can go in and check on Ben. If he's still breathing, I know he's okay. If I'm worried about Andrew, I can't tell if he's okay or in a coma. I can't wake him up everytime I want to feel better."

Now, checking him in the night is just something else we have to do. He also sometimes sleeps through the checks, so I don't feel as bad about it. Last week, I woke up at 4 a.m. after already checking him at 2 a.m. My first thought was still, "Lord, did You wake me up for a reason? Do I need to check Andrew?" I did, and he was low.

Since baseball is starting already, I decided to search for information on wearing the pump during baseball games. Instead, I got the obituary of a teenage baseball player who managed his diabetes with a pump who died in his sleep. It makes me want to get the continuous glucose monitor with alarms NOW! However, it is expensive & Andrew is completely opposed. It's one more thing to have to insert, wear all the time, etc. The sad part of that is that Andrew's biggest objection to CGM was, "If I get a CGM & don't go low anymore, I'll never have candy again!" I countered with, "If you had CGM, we could learn how to better handle candy in your diet." He didn't believe me.

1 comment:

  1. {{{{{Kimberly}}}}}} sometimes a pity party is what we need....

    ReplyDelete