Monday, March 5, 2012

Kaitlyn's Official Diagnosis - 3/5/2012

Kaitlyn was officially diagnosed with type 1 diabetes today.  Her ogtt came in at exactly 200.  Her A1c is back down to 4.8 though, which makes me feel better.  Maybe the supplements are helping prolong the honeymoon.  I asked to be sent the antibody numbers too when the labs come in.

She won't go on insulin yet.  We just need to take a couple fasting blood sugars and a couple after meal (high carb ones) per week.  She has taken a fasting BG every day for the last week, so in some ways we're backing off.

Kaitlyn is doing okay.  She's had a few good cries and has texted her friends.  It's good to know that she has friends at school and church supporting her too.

Andrew has had a really hard time with diabetes and sports lately.  I'm too tired to tell the stories from the weekend.  Yesterday really scared me.  I really hate the idea of Kaitlyn fighting this battle too.  Today was another step in that direction, but the reality is that she isn't fighting the same fight, at least not yet.  Please pray that this honeymoon stage lasts a really long time!  And please pray that the Lord comforts her though this stage.  She is an amazing young lady!

6 comments:

  1. Praying for you and for Kaitlyn. If I can do anything, please let me know. And if Kaitlyn wants another type 1 to talk to (who's a girl), I'd be more than happy to talk to her. Just know I'm loving your family and praying for each of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly,
    I am so sorry to hear about this official diagnosis. I know on the one hand it is wonderful to catch so early on yet you never want to have a diagnosis of type 1 especially with a second child. I will continue to pray for you and for Kaitlyn during this transition and hopefully long honeymoon. If there is every anything I can do, JDRF can do or Hot Shots can do, please let me know. Hugs to you and your family.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly,
    I do not know you, but I am praying for your family. My son Matthew has Type 1. I worry everyday that his younger sister will face the same road and pray she does not. I hope to meet you at a JDRF or Hot Shots event soon! Prayers and blessings!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh..... was praying it wouldn't come to this. Thankful that Kaitlyn has a mom that is so on top of things that she will get the best care possible. I imagine her challenges will be different than Andrew's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I've read all of your responses to Kaitlyn too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly, I'm two months late here but I've just come across your blog through a great friend Victoria. I can't imagine what you've gone through in watching Kaitlyn diagnosed, but my thoughts and prayers are also with you, her and your family. Thank you for sharing your family's story here, and connecting with others in the Diabetes Online Community.

    ReplyDelete