Saturday, March 27, 2010

Scary Days!

Thursday, I got to see my first real severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), but it wasn't Andrew! It was a student of mine. I saw her shaking & asked if she was okay, but she shook her head no & collapsed. She could barely talk, eat, or drink! I knew she needed sugar, but it was so hard to get some into her! I asked a student to get the juice from the fridge that I had kept for Andrew, but there wasn't one. The student went to find real soda and the teacher next door called the nurse. I had glucose tabs in my purse, but there was no way she could chew. I grabbed a lollipop I'd been given for Valentine's thinking I could hold it & remove it if she seized, but she could barely open her mouth & it just wasn't working. I tried a laffy taffy since it was slimmer until the soda arrived. I got more soda on her shirt than in her mouth the first time, but it started to work. Then she was able to drink better with help. The nurse still couldn't understand her name by the time she got there, but she was doing so much better! It was scary, but I'm glad I knew what to do. It was a privilege to hold her, wipe the escaping tears, & be able to assure her she was going to be okay now. It was one of the first few good things that has come from Andrew's diagnosis.

Afterwards though, I felt the adrenaline pumping through my body for the rest of the day. I don't know if I'm more afraid for her or Andrew. It was just upsetting. We've always followed the rule, "Make sure there is always someone around who knows what to do in case he 'needs help' treating a low." The visual of how much help he could need was frightening. Today, I got on CWD (Children with Diabetes) forums and found out that one of the children died from diabetes on Thursday! He was a otherwise healthy 14 year old boy with a twin sister & older brother. He just didn't wake up. They expect the autopsy to reveal low blood sugar. Please pray for this family!!! Please pray for my student too. And Andrew while you're at it! And another family that lost a 13 year old to diabetes last month!

Just for the record, I HATE DIABETES!!!

2 comments: